04 May, 2013

The power of red

I love red. I wear it a lot, I am drawn to it in any colour scheme and I recognise the power it has in any landscape to make things "pop". Some artists use red as their signature colour , signing a painting possibly devoid of statement colour with the swoosh of powerful red, intended to highlight the provenance of the painting. I like that but it's too subtle for me.

I have a love hate relationship with red. It is so powerful that it needs balance.Too much and the painting becomes visually assaulting.  I posted a painting on my FB page and a friend commented on how I use red in the centre of my paintings , so I went back and had a look at some of my paintings.







I see what he means!


1 comment:

  1. You're on fire Jen!
    This post reminds me of the poem by William Carlos Williams

    The Red Wheelbarrow
    So much depends
    Upon the red wheel
    Barrow

    glazed with rain
    water

    beside the white
    chickens.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the hoops you have to jump through to post a comment, but I am being assaulted by spammers. I would love to hear from you, so please persist! Thanks, jennie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...