I invited Martin Campos, a contemporary American figurative painter, to come visit and hold a workshop in New Zealand .....and he said yes! Who knew you could just do that?!
There was squealing....I confirm it was me.
There was delight...me too.
Martin then confirmed his excitement...so we are all squealing , delighted. and excited.
Martin teaches figure drawing at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and figurative painting, plein air, and still life painting at the Wayne Art Centre.
You can see more of his work here and a video of his works here
Here is the description for the workshop:
FIGURE AND SPACE
27 November -1 December
27 November -1 December
with Arcenio Martin Campos
This workshop will include an introduction to Martins refined and abreviated plein air technique that aims to report and gather information in small format in a short period of time.This work is the means to creating powerful and dynamic figurative pieces. Martins observation of light in in its fleeting moments drives his figurative pieces in the studio
Students will explore the construction of form and how it relates to a real or an imagined environment. We will employ a wide variety of approaches, from the traditional, to the organic as well as the intuitive —– with the final goal to build solid design and composition. Added discussions will focus on narrative and imagination and the importance of how they correlate to drive and support an image to completion
A model will be provided or participants may use their own personal reference.
Combined with image making, we will also discuss the importance of an artists studio and surrounding environment as an inspiration and influence.
Please Note: This workshop is suitable for artists with some painting experience.
This trip includes:
• 5 day workshop with Martin Campos
• access to a private model
• Use of private studio and adjacent space
• Delicious lunches daily
• Morning and afternoon coffee and tea available
$1500 per person
Please note: Fee does not include travel costs to this destination or accommodation.
• Enrollment is made with 50% deposit
• Spaces are limited to 12 students. In order to reserve your spot, it is advisable to enroll as soon as possible
• Balance Due 30 October
• Cancellation policy
• Up to 01 September you will be fully refunded if you have to cancel your trip, excluding your deposit.
• Cancellation made between: 1 September and 1 November will result in a total loss of 50% of your art retreat funds.
• Any cancellation made after that will result in 100% loss of art retreat funds.
• We reserve the right to cancel the trip if it is not meeting the trip minimum and in that unlikely event, your deposit and any payments made will be fully refunded.
• Trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended if there is a possibility that you might have to cancel your trip.
Still not sure....go and listen to him as he was interviewed by Antrese Wood The Savvy Painter https://savvypainter.com/podcast/martin-campos/Podcast.