10 December, 2012

Bokkoms 2

Dried, salted mullet. That is what "bokkoms" are......and possible a delicacy but I have never had the stomach for them. They are, however, a standard roadside vendors trade in summer months along the west coast of the Cape in South Africa. Ramshackle stalls made of wattle or such wood with a zinc aluminium sheet as a roof  would shelter the dried fish from rain but not much else.

I guess I am homesick for familiar sights . And go figure how dried fish makes me feel better!!!!

oil on canvas
35 x 45 cm



I painted like a mullet this morning. Maybe that's why I chose the fish! This was painting number 3...the others were wiped due to serious atrociousness.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry for the hoops you have to jump through to post a comment, but I am being assaulted by spammers. I would love to hear from you, so please persist! Thanks, jennie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...